The aim of the Scout Association is: The mental, physical and spiritual development of young people.
The method of achieving this aim is through a programme of activities, often adventurous and outdoors.
- Camp fires
- Treasure hunts
- Tracking games in the dark
- It’s a knock-out
- Outdoor cooking
- Bridge building
- Night hikes
- Rock climbing
Cubs and Scouts regularly go away on camps and expeditions.
Several of our Leaders are keen outdoors enthusiasts in cycling, climbing and mountaineering. They are qualified as Rock Climbing Instructors and Mountain Leaders. We have a link with York Mountaineering Club.
- Several Duke of Edinburgh Gold Awards
- A Scout represented North Yorkshire and England at the World Jamboree in Australia
- A Scout later became 7th in the world at the Paralympics
- Ascents of Mont Blanc
- Rock climbing and mountaineering in the Lake District and Scotland
- Winter mountaineering and Snow and Ice climbing
- Half marathons such as at the Great North Run
Cubs and Scouts can also go on events organised by the Scout County:
- Rock climbing
- Mountain biking
We have a team of dedicated leaders at Heslington who run Beavers, Cubs and Scouts plus other friends to help maintain the building and the Minibus.
Our programmes help young people to develop and learn to socialise.
- His first night away from home and parents.
- Her first time camping outdoors.
- His first experience of cooking for himself.
- Yes, she can climb than!
For further information email gsl at heslingtonscoutgroup.org.uk ……… replacing “at” with @ and no spaces please.